Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Brownie Protein Waffles with Chocolate PB Sauce

Do you like Pinterest?
It seems that whenever I go on, I'm finding new things that I add to my mental checklist of "Must Try". Then when I look up, two hours have flown by and I have nothing to show for it! Anyway, in the past I've pinned probably hundreds of protein pancake recipes, but actually only made very few of them. I guess I'm just really picky about what goes into my foods (something I'm still working on freeing myself from). The pancakes would have tons of protein, but no whole grains. Or plenty of healthy carbohydrates, but only a measly amount of protein. Or they would just turn out gooey and tasteless when I made them.
So I decided to try my own thing. And I am beyond excited about it.
I can't say enough great things about this morning's creation. I couldn't stop smiling as I was eating them, and for a girl recovering from an eating disorder, that says quite a bit about their awesomeness. (Yes it's a word. Because I say it is.)
These have everything you want in a healthy, well-rounded breakfast: whole grains, protein, fruit…And all within a reasonable nutritional profile as well! Plus, they are fairly simple to make and are absolutely delicious!
Behold…

Chocolate Brownie Protein Waffles!

 Yes, siree, you get about 30 grams of high-quality protein in these babies, as well as 5 grams of fiber, and 25 grams of whole grain! And they're naturally gluten free! These are the perfect breakfast for anyone with a love of chocolate and healthy eating!


INGREDIENTS

For Waffles
1/4 cup oat flour (made by grinding up 1 packet instant oatmeal in a coffee grinder)
1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 packet stevia
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp imitation butter extract

For PB Fudge Sauce
1 T. chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
1 packet stevia
1/2 T. dark chocolate cocoa powder
Water

DIRECTIONS
  1. Start heating up your waffle iron, and make sure to spray it well so the waffles don't stick
  2. Mix together dry ingredients (as I said, if you don't have oat flour on hand, just grind up a packet of oatmeal. That's what I did!). Then add wet, and mix well until all lumps are gone.
  3. Pour half the batter into your waffle iron and close the lid. Cook 3-4 minutes or until done (I didn't actually time it, so I'm not sure). DON'T OPEN THE LID UNTIL THE WAFFLE IS READY!
  4. While waffle is cooking, prepare your fudge sauce. Simply stir together dry ingredients, then add water, about 1/2 T. at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine pretty thick, but if you want the sauce to be more "saucy" instead of a spread, add more water. Alternatively, use almond milk instead of water.
  5. Top your waffles with fudge sauce and enjoy their amazingness!
**For meal plans, one whole recipe (YUP. THE WHOLE THING) is 1 starch, 1 fruit, and 3 proteins.
You can round it out by serving with a nice glass of milk, and if needed use regular peanut butter instead of the PB2 in the sauce, but you may need to adjust the amount of water.



No comments:

Post a Comment