Friday, June 6, 2014

Insanely Easy Tortilla-less Enchilada Casserole/Soup

Confession: I totally thought this recipe would be paleo when I was throwing everything together. Ooops. Shows you just how much I know about paleo things...

It IS however grain, meat, soy, and nut free so that has to count for something, right? And it could easily be made vegan with a substitution for the cheese (I suggest nutritional yeast, because vegan cheese totally weirds me out. Like, it melts, but it's kind of rubbery... and people ask me why I don't go vegan :) )

Basically, I just now learned that people who are fully paleo do not eat any dairy or beans (though they do eat eggs). Now, for someone like me, who is vegetarian, that's pretty problematic. Yes, I suppose I could eat the world's supply of eggs for my protein, but honestly, eating half a dozen eggs daily is not my first choice. I'm happy sticking with my milk and cheese, because I know my diet works for ME and that's the important part. Plus, as a true animal lover, I don't think I could ever go back to meat, even humanely raised. But let's just stop there. On to the more interesting (and delicious!) things.

I was feeling really lazy today, but after whipping together quesadillas for dinner for the last four few nights, I knew I needed to put in slightly more effort in. Plus, there was a can of black beans in the pantry just calling my name. Enter...enchiladas!


This recipe essentially just asks you to chop, mix, and bake. No pre-sauteing, no complicated, tedious assembly. Plus, if someone WANTS tortillas, they can easily just scoop the mixture into some post-baking. Those who don't aren't obligated to have any. It's a win-win for everyone! And, it can also be eaten from a bowl as chili/soup!

Enchilada Soup- serves 2-4

1 can Enchilada Sauce (I used mild Old El Paso)
1 can low-sodium black beans (DO NOT DRAIN)
1 small white onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
Optional: other veggies or beans
Cheese (cheddar or American) to top

1. Pre heat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine all ingredients in a pan (9x9 or 9x13)
3. Bake 20-30 minutes until warm and melty.
4. Eat as soup or tortilla filling!



Linking to the HOST

No comments:

Post a Comment